Bozeman Regulations


If you have a short term rental after Jan 1st, 2017, then you can grandfathered it in. Otherwise, all short-term rentals must be owner-occupied.

You will need to get an accommodation license, lodging Tax ID with the Montana Department of Revenue, and you must pass the fire inspection.

To pass the fire inspection, you will need:

  • Display the Address large enough to be seen from the street (4-inch min.)
  • Smoke detectors in each bedroom, level of the property, and areas leading into the bedrooms
  • Carbon Monoxide Detectors outside of the bedrooms attached garages, and anywhere near fuel-fired appliances
  • Portable fire extinguishers on every level
  • Exit doors and windows
  • Clear exit paths
  • Flammable liquids stored properly
  • Electrical outlets within 6 feet of a sink to have GFCI protectors
  • Vertical water tank heaters strapped to displace earthquake motion
  • Handrails on stairs longer than 4+ risers

For more information, visit the Bozeman city website.


You must renew your short-term rental registration each year; to do this, you can visit the cities' Short Term Rental Registration Portal. If you wish to renew your License you can easily follow the steps here.

The instructions are simple:

  • Go to the Short Term Rental Registration Portal
  • Login
  • Click "Renew" on the License you want to be renewed
  • Give your Max Number of Guests, number of parking spaces, number of bedrooms, check all three boxes and set the correct Zoning District
  • Click the Save License Button
  • Upload a copy of the fire inspection
  • Provide a sketch of the property
  • Updated/current accommodation license
  • Select the payment to be $250 and click the PayPal button to pay

You will then see in your portal when the license gets approved.

Fines and Fees

To register your short-term rental, there is an annual fee of $250. You will also be required to pay a yearly state fee of $40. There is a one-time fee of around $500 for the required fire and health inspection.

If you don't register your short term rental, it is considered a misdemeanor and is subjected to fines, imprisonment, and civil penalties determined by the courts.

For more information, visit the Bozeman city website.

Protect Your Property Newsletter

Sign up to receive developing news and alerts on protecting rental properties.