Jefferson City Regulations
Short-Term Rentals can only be rented out if operated by the owner of the property unless a renter gets approval in writing from the landowner.
Need to apply for a business license if the short-term rental is located in:
- Mixed-use zoned area
- Office commercial-zoned areas
- Neighborhood commercial-zoned areas
- General commercial-zoned areas
- Central commercial-zoned areas
Apply for a special exception permit, if not one of the zones stated above (around a 3-month process).
Verify zoning with the City of Jefferson (573) 634-6313.
- Accessory structures can't be used as a short-term rental
- Number of occupants can't be more than five unrelated persons when renting out the whole property and no more than four people renting out a lodging room
- A sign of the maximum size
- For parking, there must be two on-street spots available or three parking spots that aren't on the street
- Must have a fire extinguisher, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in each bedroom
- Fire escape plans posted in each bedroom
- Each level must have a minimum of two fire exits
- No hot plates or microwaves are allowed in bedrooms
If there are any questions contact (573) 634-6410 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To get a special exception license fill out this form
To apply for a business license fill out this form
Visit the Hosting Fact Sheet for more information
Fines and Fees
When applying for a special exemption license, the application fee is $500.
When applying for a business license, the fee is $50 multiplied by the rate for that month.