Philadelphia Short-Term Rental Regulations


The city refers to short-term rentals as "Limited Lodging," which is stated as renting out a home or room for a max of 30 consecutive days. You can only have your house rented out for 180 days of the year. If you want to rent out a home form more than 180 days within a year or if the property is not your primary residence, then you will have to apply for a "Visitor Accommodations" permit. For properties that are an owner's primary residence, a Commercial Activity license is required.

Requirements for Limited Lodging:

  • Smoke alarms installed in all bedrooms, halls outside of bedrooms, and each floor (including basement)
  • Carbon monoxide alarms installed within 15 feet of each bedroom door
  • If there are no enclosed bedrooms then carbon monoxide alarms have to be installed within 15 feet of the bed, must be centrally located, can't be in front of the bathroom door
  • Carbon monoxide alarms can't be within five feet of cooking appliances
  • If it is a smoke and carbon monoxide detector, then follow the smoke alarm specifications
  • Lodging signs are prohibited
  • Can't have more than three people not related by blood staying at the property
  • No physical changes that make it not look like a home

The renter must supply renter with this information:

  • Renters can only have guests from 8 am-12 am
  • Garbage containers and collection days for trash
  • Renters will be notified if they have excessive noise and can be fined
  • Should provide contact information to guests in case of emergencies.

For any other questions visit the City of Philadelphia website


If you rent your property out 90 days or less throughout the year, you don't need a Short Term Limited Lodging permit, but if you rent it out for 90-180 max days a year, then you are required to get a permit.

To apply for the permit, you will need to bring a check with the application to the City's Department of License and Inspections within the Municipal Services Building (1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Philadelphia, PA 19102).

For a Commercial Activity License, you can apply online, go in person to the Municipal Services Building, fax, or mail to the same address.

Fines and Fees

The Application fee for a Short Term Limited Lodging permit is $125 check or money order and must be brought when turning the application in.

You will also be required to pay a monthly Hotel Tax of 8.5%, for more information visit the City of Philadelphia website.

Protect Your Property Newsletter

Sign up to receive developing news and alerts on protecting rental properties.