Las Vegas, Nevada

Image result for las vegas

City Ordinance for Short Term Rentals in Las Vegas, NV

Navigating the rules around short term and vacation rentals in Las Vegas

A city with no off season, Las Vegas remains a city divided on short-term rental housing regulations. The recent regulations were passed by an extremely slim margin of 4-3 votes in the city council.  While many members of the community have organized against the problem of “party houses”, which bring disturbances and trash to residential areas, others feel that the city is in desperate need of short-term housing and that the new rules will drive the industry underground.

Main Takeaways:

  • New city ordinance on short-term rentals was passed in June, 2017 by a vote of 4-3.
  • A business license is required of all hosts, and short-term special use permit is needed for non-owner occupied properties or for owner occupied properties renting out three or fewer bedrooms. A $1,030 fee is required to apply for the special use permit, and neighbors are allowed input into the approval process.
  • Events and parties are banned on the properties, and a proof of liability insurance coverage of at least $500,000 is required.

Although the City of Las Vegas already had legislation on short-term rentals on the books (specifically banning their use in certain areas or subdivisions), complaints against loud, unruly events and parties caused the city to revisit the issue in 2017.  A new ordinance was passed on June 22, 2017, requesting a heavy $1,030 to apply for a special use permit to run a short-term rental and allowing for input from the neighboring residents on whether this permit should be approved.  Owners of the property which are currently in use as short-term rentals have two years to come into compliance with the new law.

Councilwoman Louis Tarkanian, who represents an area with older neighborhoods, has been a longtime proponent of more legislation to protect neighborhoods from “party houses.” However, Mayor Carolyn Goodman questioned whether the new regulations would truly address the main problem, the existence of party houses. 
Short-term rental operators who do not occupy the residence and owners who do occupy the residence and rent more than three bedrooms now will need a special use permit, proof of liability insurance for $500,000, and letter-size placards outside the properties with contact information and maximum allowed occupancy.

Neighborhoods and their associations are those which have been the most vocal for more regulations, hoping that it will return some peace and quiet to their residential areas.  On the other side, Julie Davies of the Vegas Vacation Rental Association is opposed to the new legislation, saying that they are burdensome and will cause an underground short-term rental market.  She also argues that there is a need for short-term housing in Las Vegas and that the new regulation won’t change it.  In addition, she is concerned about the large special use permit fee, saying that applicants are basically gambling with their money when they apply.

Is my STR legal?

Check to make sure you are not in one of the following residential areas:

    • Summerlin, including Sun City Summerlin
    • Town Center
    • Skye Canyon
    • Cliff’s Edge
    • Downtown Centennial
    • Plan (Symphony Park)
    • Grand Canyon Village
    • Las Vegas Medical District
    • Providence Square

A short-term residential rental requires either a Conditional Use Verification (CUV) or a Special Use Permit (SUP) from the Planning Department.

    • Depending on the size and location, a Conditional Use Verification may be issued if it is owner occupied and has no more than 3 bedrooms (the number of bedrooms is that shown on the Clark County Assessor’s records) and is at least 660 feet from any other short-term residential rental.
    •  If a property is not eligible for a Conditional Use Verification, the owner must apply for a Special Use Permit. A Special Use Permit requires notification of neighboring property owners and a two-part hearing process before the Las Vegas Planning Commission and the Las Vegas City Council.  Application for a SUP is $1,030.
    • After a CUV or SUP has been obtained, an inspection of the property will be conducted.
    • A license must be obtained for all short-term rental residences.

1. No accessory structures such as casitas, tents, trailers or other mobile units may be used for dwelling, lodging or sleeping purposes.

2. The business license number must be included in all advertisements.

3. The licensee must provide proof of liability insurance coverage with a $500,000 minimum amount.

4. The residence must display a placard whenever rented listing the maximum occupancy and a 24-hour contact number for complaints.

5. Properties with six or more bedrooms must employ a licensed security company available 24/7 to respond to complaints.  

6. 660-foot separation between short-term residential rentals is required.

7. The property owner must be the license holder. The license application must list the hosting platform on which the units will be advertised.

8. The application must include an affidavit attesting that there are no delinquent room tax liabilities or liens on the property.

Click here
 to see a map (at the bottom of the page) that lays out all of the legislation in each major city and the procedures they need to take to ensure their STR is legal. Legislation may have changed though since we posted this map, so double check and make sure that the legislation is still up to date!


Las Vegas City Hall

495 S. Main Street
Las Vegas, NV 89101
TTY 7-1-1

City of Las Vegas Department of Planning. (n.d.). Short-term Residential Rental. Retrieved from

Totten, K. (2017, June 22). Las Vegas Tightens Restrictions on Short-Term Rentals. Retrieved from